Saturday, March 1, 2014

Embrace and Let it go!

Having grown up in a society that only focuses on perfection,  I’ve had low self-esteem and body image issues of my own. I was never the prettiest or the most popular out of my age group.  I was more of an outcast that nobody paid attention to, which only made me feel more self-conscious about myself. As for my body, mine seemed to mature much slower than most of the girls around me.  However, over time I learned that my body issues weren’t really my fault, because there wasn’t anything I could do. Since I was born premature, I think my body matured much slower, but sooner or later I finally started to develop and I’m happy with how I look today.  I've embraced what made me look different from what everyone thinks a female should look like because of the media.
As for my self-esteem issues, yes growing up in this twisted society which seems to be run by the media, it isn’t easy for any girl looking to fit in. I tried to fit in for so long. But with the help of Proud and Pretty in Pink my eyes were opened and I realized what the media was portraying was not only fake, which is basically what you have to be to match up to the media's expectations, but also that that look is not achievable for most. PPP also helped me to embrace the beauties I have and I created my own vision of what perfect is because I see myself that way.  I’m perfect with all my little flaws that the media continues to point out. I’ve learned to embrace my freckles, my crooked smile, and all the flaws I used to pick on over and over because they are what make me unique, no matter what. Yes, I get frustrated with how I look sometimes but at least I don’t hate myself because one little hair is out of place. It’s a give and take kind of thing. Find what works for you, what makes you feel pretty, and comfortable in your own skin.  At the end of the day you should only be pleasing one person and that’s yourself.
Now I know everyone has seen the new movie FROZEN and this may sound really cheesy but girls could actually learn a lot from Elsa and the way she portrays herself. In the beginning she tries to conceal the one thing that makes her different and special, in fear she will be rejected, much like girls today. They hide behind someone they're not because they're trying to fit into that perfect idea of perfection instead of letting it go and being who they want to be. And that’s exactly what Elsa does, when she sheds her gloves and cape (symbols of the oppression of her gift because that’s what is “perfect”) she becomes care free, no weight on her shoulders, and shows what she can really do with such power. Girls in today’s society can do just that by not conforming to the impossible standards that the media sets and just be themselves.  They can look the way they want to look and feel the way they want to feel. Look at what all kinds of women have accomplished because they don’t let the burdens of the media stand in their way and they let their talents shine.
So step away from the media.  Stop freaking out if your body doesn’t look like those girls on the magazines. Because not even those girls look like that in real life.  Spend some time reading some of the other blogs on here. You’d be surprised at what you can learn from these wonderful women and girls. I know I’ve learned a lot and I learn something new every day.
Embrace your beauties, AND your flaws, ignore the media… because photo shop is just a fancy word for fake, and we all just need to “LET IT GO!”

Stephanie Raguse
Age 19




No comments:

Post a Comment