Thursday, April 3, 2014

Bullying, Beauty and the Teen Years

I'm a 17 year old girl with the motivation to inspire and change the world. Well at least try to do so.  I've known Proud and Pretty for a couple of months now and I can say I'm inspired by the organization and by all the inspiring messages it shares. Today, I decided to share my little story that might have an impact on someone.

For a long time I thought it was fair, when people told me I was "ugly" or when they said I was "anorexic" just because I was very thin. I thought it was fair because when I saw myself in the mirror I told myself the exact same things.  Everyone has, at one time, been in this kind of situation. More so I think that a lot of teenagers, including myself, have once in their lives been victim of bullying.

Words can destroy as much as they can help and inspire. So many people are judging based on physical appearance.  As a teenager, I've lived this kind of situation a couple of times and that's why I know it's hard. It's hard hearing people tell you that you are what they call "Ugly" or "Fat" or whatever.  It's been a while now since I've had to face bullying. It happened to me last year, in February, to be exact. There was some guys that I didn't know from my school who were lashing out at me, telling me I was "ugly" and all sorts of things. I was panicked. Literally. I was on the bus so I tried to not cry and not to show them that they were getting to me. I really wanted to say something to them but I was speechless. So I just waited.  When I got home, I told everything to a friend of mine because I couldn't keep it to myself, at least not this time.  The worst thing about it is that after that I was scared to be on the bus because I was afraid that it would happen again. Actually I'm still a little bit scared. I try to avoid them even in high school. And I know that it's kind of stupid and that I shouldn't be scared but I will always remember the feeling I had that day. It's funny because they probably totally forgot about me but I don't think I will ever forget them.

Judgement, bullying and all of this sucks and its very scary. But you know what's worse? Letting them win. Letting them make you think you are anything other than beautiful and capable.  So I would say, don't let people bring you down with their judgements. I know its hard. It's a constant fight. But you are not alone. If you take a closer look you will see it. You can find someone like you. That's why organizations like Proud & Pretty in Pink exist.  When you're young all those things can destroy you but remember that you are BEAUTIFUL because TRUE beauty isn't a thing you see with the eyes, but something you see with your heart.  What matters the most is who you are as a person, the person you choose to be and the difference you want to make in this world. Believe in you and all that you are because you are unique and a real gift to this world! To each person who's reading this, believe it with all your heart.

A huge thank you to Proud & Pretty in Pink, Team True Beauty and all the amazing organizations that help and inspire by the message they share.

-Nabila James
Age 17



No comments:

Post a Comment