Thursday, October 16, 2014

Labels and My Little Introduction

“Tall”, “blonde”, “skinny”, “white”, “beauty queen” --typical words that people often use to define me. I choose to define myself as strong, independent, intelligent, and creative—words one would only use to describe me after knowing me for a short time. It’s remarkable that people always define others by their physical appearance, but never typically by their inner attributes. A “wise” person once said “It’s what’s on the inside that counts”, but is this actually true? If so, then why do we constantly judge people by their physical appearance?

I am 21 years old, currently attending the University of La Verne, where I truly believe that I found myself. By this I mean that college has allowed me to develop into the person I genuinely am. It allowed for me to break out of my shell and spread my wings. It has allowed me to become the confident woman I am today, not worrying what others think of me. College has taught me that others opinions do not matter. Being yourself 100% is empowering, and I honestly think acceptance has made me a more confident person. 

I encourage all of you to find the person you truly are and OWN that! Because if you don’t who will? You were created to be uniquely you because nobody else could live up to your personal potential. Don't let labels define you. Be the person you were meant to be and choose who you want to be and own it! Never let anyone dull your sparkle. 

Until next time, 

Kayla Hockman 





Kayla Hockman is 21 years old, born and raised in Fontana and currently residing in Rialto. She is actively involved with Proud and Pretty in Pink and has been a PPP girl since 2009. Kayla is a senior at the University of La Verne pursuing a Bachelors degree in Communications with an emphasis in Public Affairs. After graduating in Spring 2015, she hopes to have a career in publicity and be involved with the entertainment business. Kayla is an intern with the Fontana Unified School District in the Office of the Superintendent. At La Verne, she is actively involved on campus and is a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority. She was recently Miss Fontana 2013-2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment