Saturday, April 4, 2015

Let me be…

Young girls these days are being sent many different messages making it hard for them to be
comfortable with their true self.  It’s obvious that the media wants girls and women to look a certain way.  But there are so many wonderful organizations out there trying to fight this idea and in reality they are also creating confusion and anxiety for young girls.

In 2015 girls don’t know if they should be wearing make up or embracing their “natural” look.  They don’t know if being skinny is a good thing or if it’s frowned upon because that isn’t what “Real Women” look like.  In attempts to make one group feel better about themselves we are creating a negative message and sending it to the opposite group.

If I want to wear make up and I feel good about myself in it, then let me.

If I want to work out and eat right to maintain my idea of a great body, let me.

If I chose to not participate in hours of fitness and restrictive eating, let me.

If I want to wear extensions in my hair and fake lashes on my eyes, let me.

If I want to walk out of the house with messy hair and no make up on, let me.

If I want to love myself for exactly who I am and who I’ve chosen to be, let me.

Source

Stop telling girls that there’s a right way to do things.  Stop telling them that this form of expression is better or worse than that one.  Stop trying to convince them that it’s better to be themselves without giving them the tools to find out who “themselves” actually is.

We want girls to be whoever they want to be and we want to help them figure out who that is.


We hear them as they scream, “JUST LET ME BE!”

Written By:
Chelsie Prince
Founder of Proud & Pretty in Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment