Thursday, April 23, 2015

Twitter Talk Recap

For those of you who wanted to participate in the twitter but couldn't, here is a quick recap. We had a great group hanging out with us for an hour and talking about some good points when it comes to body image. Let us know if you have any questions. And make sure to follow Proud & Pretty on Twitter! @ProudandPretty


Q1: Approx. 91% of women are unhappy with their bodies. Are you apart of the 91%
--- @KickAssAries: I was but I'm not anymore I've learned to accept myself for who I am and what I look like and I'm proud of that :)
---@KlassySingleMom: No, but there are things I want to change for health purposes to feel better.
---@kduhh: definitely was a part of that statistic but through healthy eating and working out, I am no longer!

Q2: Do you feel like the media affects the way you feel about your body? How and Why?
---@DancingJenn13: kind of. 97% of models in magazines/on TV are super skinny and tan. Few have curves and it makes me self-conscious
---@KickAssAries: sometimes. I'll see pictures of girls in magazines and I'll look at my body and be self conscious .But I know it's not real
---@ShoniJay: most definitely. I mean look at the all of the people who've participate in the Kardashian lip challenge
---@kduhh: it's difficult to live up to the media's expectations of a "perfect" body when everyone is so different.
---@ChelsieAPrince: I catch myself having negative thoughts after looking at mags! Then I remind myself that I'm happy w/ what I have.
---@ChelsieAPrince: the media can play nasty tricks on your mind causing you to do horrible things to your body!

Q3:How can we change the way the media portrays girls&women?
---@StephanieZiajka: By vocally objecting to their version + subsequent promotion of the perf body type. Bodies are different, all beautiful.
---@SMarieM: I don't necessarily think we can change the media I think we more need to change ourselves by being confident in who we are
---@shonijay: continue to be the voice of reason and support organizations such as Proud and Pretty. Teach our young to love themselves.
---@KickAssAries: nothing is ever going to change the way media portrays women we can only hope we can change it one women at a time
---@kduhh: we also need to stop supporting companies/mags that support photoshopping and editing real bodies.

Q4: Do you know what positively affects body image?
---@SMarieM: believing in yourself and being positive. Like said positivity and what surrounds you goes a long way
---@ChandraCMogan: an awesome support system!!
---@ChelsieAPrince: for younger girls its future educational plans, family support and participation in sports.
---@ChelsieAPrince: 
---@ShoniJay: being positive yourself..feelings ideas and thoughts are contagious. When your positive all the time others follow suit

Q5: Social Media stalking often leads to you feeling bad about yourself/body. True or False
---@DancingJenn13: I use to stalk my old friends account because I really looked up to her, but after a while I realized it was unhealthy and I let the friendship and her account go from my life
---@shonijay: 100% true! I follow a lot of fitness pgs and often I find myself reverting back to old ways b/c "I'll never look like them
---@SMarieM: 100% true I immediately feel bad about myself
---@kduhh: True! I find myself comparing not only my body but my life to others and I feel inadequate. #PPPinkWeek15 #bingestalking 
---@M_Star_B: I agree! I look at my news feed daily and even my old photos and I start comparing myself n get insecure

Q6: What are your tips for feeling good in your own skin?
---@ChelsieAPrince: eat healthy most of the time, find fun workouts, hang w/ friends, be involved w/ ! Health+Happy=SelfLove
---@SMarieM: finding happiness in yourself and being positive. Be proud and happy because we are all beautiful. Pass that positivity.
---@KlassySingleMom: Positive thoughts and surround yourself with those that love you unconditionally!
---@shonijay: find what makes you happy and just do it. Everyone's always going to have an opinion but it's up to you if you listen.
---@DancingJenn13: if I'm ever feeling down I know I can always talk to my therapist or my good friend





2 hoursI was but I'm not anymore I've learned to accept myself for who I am and what I look like and im proud of that :)

1 comment: