Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Proud to Be Me

Loving myself has been a long time coming! Even though I am still very young, my life has had its ups and downs. My experience with negative body image started at a young age.

It all started around the third grade when I noticed I didn't look like the other girls. I was bigger and a lot shorter. I felt really down and different. I started to become depressed. 

Fast forward to middle school, I chopped off all of my hair to fit in better, my hair was almost to the back of my knees. I started wearing makeup to try and hide myself from the world. Then I joined cheerleading and lost a little weight and grew a few inches. I felt a little better but still not like the thin, tall girls in the magazines. I bleached my whole head and started wearing smaller, more flashier clothes and even more makeup! I was uncomfortable in my own skin, but in my little disguise I felt better. A lot of the bullying eventually stopped. 

I moved and started high-school somewhere new. I had no friends but I knew a few people from elementary. My hair was now about to my shoulders from all the bleaching. I kept on with not being me. By the end of the year I realized this wasn't who I was. I dyed my hair brown and went back to being myself.

Sophomore year I met someone very special to me who helped me find who I am. I made great friends who empowered me, they were strong young women comfortable with themselves and I wanted that. Eventually I decided that I could love myself too! 

Now ending my junior year in high-school I feel a lot better about myself. Even though I have my bad days and I still want to loose some weight, I feel great! I love my body just the way it is! Finally! 

It feels great to love who I’ve become and where I am going with my life! I am Proud of myself, and I feel pretty.


Marina Stone, Age 17, Fontana Ca


No comments:

Post a Comment